Monday 15 August 2011

Enjoying the holidays!

Well despite the weather, the summer holidays are great.

We have been having loads of fun. The other half took a week off work to celebrate little man's first birthday, and we have all had a week of days out. You know the kind where you could probably have gone abroad for the same amount!

Following an excellent but expensive trip to the Design-a-Cake outlet at Washington, I bought the stuff to do little man's first cake. I had done the same for my eldest on his first birthday so wanted them both to be the same, and I still had my number 1 cake tin. I got the cake baked, and my friend Kate was coming over on the Saturday morning to help me decorate it. (we were winging it together!) Despite a couple of false starts, we got the cake cut, filled and iced. Looked fab, if I do say so myself. A big light blue number 1 with dark blue stars all over it, and his name down the middle in fancy letters.

On the Sunday, we had friends over for the first couple of hours, where despite the rain they still managed to get outside for a little while on the bouncy castle and trampoline, and gorgeous boy no. 1's "hide me Scooby Doo" came in very handy. After cutting the cake, and singing happy birthday, they left, while we had a very quick turnaround before the family came for a BBQ on the afternoon. I have been with Col for nearly 8 years now, and apart from our engagement party in a function room, I think that was the first time we had both our entire families, including aunts, uncles and cousins in the same room at the same time. Good job we have a bigger house now! Cramped wasn't the word! Was nice though.

Monday was the actual birthday so we went to Whitby for the day, just the four of us, and got the best weather as it rained all day at home, and we had blue skies and ice-cream! A gorgeous day. Then followed a week of days out and lazy times in, playing in the garden. We finished off with a day at Lightwater Valley on Saturday.
Top Tip: Check in on Facebook to Lightwater Valley on your phone, and if you can show the cashier the link, you get a discounted entry fee!

Last year we went there, and I was 2 weeks post-section, having just had little man! Going round there this year and seeing what I did, I must have been mad! Still I did manage to get on some rides this year with my sister-in-law.

So there you go, back up to date again. We had a christening on Sunday but other than that it's back to quiet times again. col went back to work this morning, chuntering and bumping his gums about being the breadwinner! Got quite a lot of cakes to bake now, as my mother-in-law is doing a little party for my eldest on Tuesday as she will be away for his birthday and asked me to do some little petite four cakes, as they are just the right size for little mouths. And then my niece gets christened on Sunday, and I am godmother. I have promised my brother and his wife I will do some pink cupcakes for them, with little teddy bears and butterflies on the top. Pink and sparkly will make a nice change, as most of my cakes for my two are blue, or at the very least Lightening McQueen red!

Still can't quite believe I won't be going back to work in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment